The secret to a successful job search is nothing more than a series of carefully planned disciplines practiced regularly.
There is no shortcut to job search success but there are several simple things you can do that will put you ahead of your competition. Too often looking for a shortcut or pure laziness keeps a first- time job seeker from reaching their goals. Here are a few simple rules to follow that will make a big difference in the success of your search.
- Know yourself, interests, skills, attributes and strengths. These will lead you to the right opportunities.
- Do your homework…research, research, research. The more you know about the business/industry you want to enter the better. Read everything you can. Be better informed than your competition.
- Use your network. You will not find a job without the help of others in some way. Reach out to your friends and family and treat every contact you make with respect.
- Be professional, polite and respectfully to all you meet. “Please” and “Thank you” work wonders.
- Be a great record keeper. Every contact you make, every lead you follow will become valuable at some point in time.
- Never give up. Every action you take, every person you meet will get you one step closer to landing your first job.