New graduates need to know…If you have made it to the interview, it means your are qualified for the job. (If the company has seen you resumé, why would they interview you if you were not qualified?…They wouldn’t.)
Your behaviour in the interview will determine if you get the job. All you have to do is perform better than your competition.
This won’t be hard if you follow these 5 simple points.
- Prepare, prepare, prepare: Research the market, the company, the job and the interviewer as best you can. Plan your response to all the interview questions and rehearse your answers.
- Attitude makes the difference: Employers want employees with a positive attitude…nothing negative. Show confidence and focus on your accomplishments.
- Ask the right questions: Ask questions about the job and the company and show an interest in their values.
- Dress for success: Find out the dress code of the company but remember that you don’t work there yet. Better to be over-dressed versus being too casual. Dress in clothing that makes you feel good. If you feel good you will look good.
- Leave a lasting impression: Finish the interview by thanking the interviewer and telling him/her you ‘want the job’. Always follow-up with a thank-you letter after the interview. Always.
Remember, the person who aces the interview
is the person who gets the job. Period!